Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

This was our St. Patrick's Day meal.  I got the recipe from Barbara at Bless Us, O Lord.  I changed a couple of things, so the recipe below is the way I made it.

Shepherd's Pie
butter
salt and black pepper
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, finely diced
2 c. frozen peas & carrots
3/4 t. dried thyme
2 T. flour
1 T. butter
1/4 c. red wine
3 T. ketchup
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken stock (beef could also be used)
5 to 6 potatoes, boiled and mashed with milk and butter
1/2 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.

Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Melt about 1 T. butter in pan. Add onions and saute for a minute or two, then add the meat. Season with black pepper and thyme. Cook until browned, then drain any fat. Add the butter and peas & carrots. Sprinkle with flour and stir through. Add ketchup, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Let this reduce slightly, then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to taste.

Remove from heat. Pour into 9X13 casserole. (I learned the hard way that this is just too much food for a 2-quart baker!)  Mix cheese into the mashed potatoes, then spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. 

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.

NOTE:  My family wasn't crazy about the peas, so next time it might just be carrots in the Shepherd's Pie.  There WILL be a next time!  Also, I thought the Worcestershire sauce tasted really strong, so I will reduce that amount in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I love Shepherd's Pie! I need to put that on my list of things to make really soon. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...