Sunday, January 01, 2012

Frugal Gumbo for the First of the Year

Soup recipes can be forgiving in more ways than one.  When it's 2:30 PM and you just find out now that your afternoon and evening plans are cancelled, soup is a go-to dinner idea.  And when you discover that some of the raw vegetables you had prepared for a holiday platter have accidentally gotten too close to the cold spot in the fridge and become frozen vegetables, you can still use them for soup.  I freeze the chicken carcass after we've had a roast chicken for dinner so I can make soup later.

I'm making up a gumbo recipe as I go along.  To borrow a line from Pippin, it has "a little of this, a little of that, a whole lot of that..."  So that I don't forget, I'm writing down the instructions as I go.  This will be chicken-only gumbo since my husband cannot eat shellfish or pork.  I know that's not authentic, but it's healthier for him this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...