Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Home Cooking Beats the Dining Halls

Guess who's signing up for Cooking Lessons with Mom this summer?  My very own college student, who has announced that next year he intends to abandon dorm life for an on-campus apartment.  (Given the neighborhood in which he attends school, an off-campus apartment complete with slumlord is the other option, and my husband and I won't hear of that possibility.)

He pretty much admitted that he knew I'd keep him in spaghetti sauce with meatballs.  Now I know what to do with all those containers that seem to multiply in the cabinets when I'm not looking!

I know that he can make a mean Pork Roll and Egg sandwich, not to mention French Toast.  He's got Breakfast For Dinner covered.

And I think this is going to be a time when I really start figuring out how to turn some of his favorite meals into easy-to-make "dinner kits" that can be kept in the freezer.  I've done this already with Beef & Noodle Skillet Dinner.  There's no reason Beef Paysanne couldn't be made the same way.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for deals on a rice cooker and some other essentials.  Got any suggestions for things I should add to his "Kitchen Essentials" box?

The only drawback here is that if I teach him how to make all his favorite foods, he'll visit even less often than he does now.   Hmmm...I'll have to make sure to ration out that spaghetti sauce.  He'll run out eventually, and he knows better than to buy Ragu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...