Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Birthday Bundt Cake: Chocolate with Caramel Glaze


I'm not much of a cake person. I'd much rather have cookies or pie. But when there's a birthday, there should be cake.

Each Wednesday, we host practice for our church's Folk Group.  It's more comfortable than practicing in church, and people can bring their kids to hang out with my kids.  When there's a birthday, we celebrate with a cake.

I've been on a bundt-cake kick lately, as these are easy to make and serve.  And I've discovered that doctoring up a box cake mix with some pudding and using a glaze rather than frosting makes a cake that even I feel like eating!

Here's tonight's edition of the Birthday Bundt Cake:  Chocolate with Caramel Glaze

CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 small box INSTANT chocolate pudding mix
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon

Mix and bake as directed on box instructions (for me, it's 50 minutes at 350.)

CARAMEL GLAZE
(I found this one over at Bless Us O Lord)

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 ounce milk
dash of salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Melt butter in small saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk. Cook and stir one minute until mixture is smooth*.
Remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients and beat with electric mixer until well blended. Drizzle over cake.

This was only half the original recipe but it still made a very generous amount of glaze!

*DO NOT melt the butter in the microwave, stir everything else in and expect it to get smooth. Ask me how I know this. It still tasted delicious, but was a little on the grainy side.

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'd love a slice to go with my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a cake person either. BTW, between you and Barbara, I never run out of new recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh yum! Love the caramel sauce to doctor this chocolate cake up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking that I need to make more bundts. That delicious caramel glaze is convincing me more! What a glorious cake.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...