Sunday, March 09, 2008

Cheese Ingredient?

I don't generally purchase foods that are too "processed" but I make an exception when it comes to shredded cheese. I've been able to get it cheaply, and I figure the extra expense is more than made up on the band-aids I'm not using when I shred my knuckles.

Yesterday my More-Health-Conscious-Than-Me Neighbor asked if I knew anything about an ingredient they're putting in shredded cheeses: natamycin. According to the package of cheese in my refrigerator, it's a mold inhibitor.

I didn't mind when they tossed a little cornstarch in the bag of cheese to prevent the shreds from clumping, but I'm not feeling too good about this.

Guess it's time to re-stock that kitchen band-aid box.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, your welcome to join the NO1 food blogging forum at Jeenaskitchen.com

    click here for jeenas food recipe cooking forum

    See you there.

    from
    Admin`

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have missed this post somehow. You need to put a food processor on your Christmas list. I shred two pounds of cheese a week in the processor. It takes about two minutes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...