Sunday, January 07, 2007

Magnificent Marinara Sauce

My homemade chunky marinara sauce:

1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil for the pan
Dash of white wine for deglazing
1 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
Seasonings to taste: coarse salt, oregano, basil & a touch of crushed red pepper, pinch of sugar

Saute the onion in the olive oil. When it begins to soften, add the garlic and saute for a minute or so. Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Add tomatoes and seasonings and simmer, covered, at least 1/2 hour.

I just tweaked this recipe today after overhearing someone talking about the white-wine-deglazing step. Normally I do this in my Nesco roaster but I did it all in a large heavy skillet, and I WILL NOT MAKE MARINARA ANY OTHER WAY EVER AGAIN. I could eat this sauce with a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...