Sunday, September 03, 2006

Simple Sandwich Sunday

I just wasn't in the mood to cook a big meal tonight. I often find that this is the case on Sundays. While I love to cook, a day of rest is nice--but I don't necessarily need a meal out to get that rest.

One thing I've been mulling over today is the attempts I have been making for the past few months to let Sunday be a day of rest. And when my husband asked why I didn't want to go to the store with him to find a replacement for our Dead-As-A-Doornail Printer, my answer was:

"I can do the same things 7 days a week if I'm not careful. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, errands. I am trying, on Sundays, not to do the things that can't be done another day." I didn't stop him from his errand, because his schedule is different from mine. But he did understand my reasoning. I need to simplify on Sundays, to make it a different day--in a good way.

It has meant that I put in a little extra on Saturday and Monday, in the cleaning and laundry departments. And shopping will get done if it's a necessary item for a meal not well planned (like today's dinner). But I've been getting better at it.

Tonight we had hot sandwiches for dinner. They weren't too hard to put together and they tasted great. Served with a salad, you've got a whole meal.

For 4 sandwiches:
8 slices cooked roast beef or pot roast (or more if the slices are thin)
1 cup au jus gravy or beef broth
4 crusty rolls, sliced
1 large onion, caramelized
4 slices Swiss cheese

Heat the roast beef in the gravy. Place onto sliced rolls. Top with onions and cheese. Broil for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...