Monday, July 18, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Cucumber Salad

It's time again for the Secret Recipe Club, where you visit a cooking blog, try one of their recipes, and report back.  No one knows who tried their recipe until they see the posts today.

This cucumber salad makes a nice simple side dish that's great for lunch or dinner in the summertime!  You don't get a huge amount, so if you're feeding a bunch or having a picnic, just increase the recipe.

Birthe's a wonderful photographer and the illustrations that accompany her recipes are amazing. New Yorker By Heart has many grilling recipes and also homemade pizza recipes! If I'd been sent to this blog at a colder time of year, I'd have chosen a pizza to try.

CUCUMBER SALAD from New Yorker By Heart




1 cucumber
2 TBL rice wine vinegar
2 TBL cider vinegar
1 tsp coarse salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 1/2 tsp sugar
(ADDED a few sprigs of garden-fresh dill)

Slice cucumber down the middle.  Scoop out the seeds.  Slice each half into 4 strips and then chop into small pieces.
Mix remaining ingredients (except dill) and pour over cucumber in small bowl.
Stir.
Add dill sprigs and refrigerate a few hours until ready to serve.

Here's how to scoop the seeds out of the cucumber:  a melon baller works great!  As you can see, I had a little helper.

This blog is originally in Danish, which made things a challenge. I was thrilled to discover that the Google Chrome browser (which I use) automatically translates--but as a former language teacher I know that not all online translation works. I did guess at one ingredient in this recipe as it did not translate: risvinseddike which I am assuming is rice wine vinegar.

Some of the translation was funny--a few recipes called for items to be "executed" in the oven. Bake? Broil? Roast? I wasn't sure, so I kept to a simple recipe that I didn't think I'd lose in the translation.


20 comments:

  1. I love a good cucumber salad! Looks like you did good with translating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple yet healthy Salad! Lovely to be in SRC with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good - and you're right in your translation :-)

    Thank you for your nice words about me and my blog...

    /Birthe from Denmark

    PS:
    In Denmark we traditionally ear cucumbersalad to a pot roasted chicken, filled with parsley. Then we make a nice gravy with cream and serve it with new, srubbed and boiled potatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we would enjoy this cucumber salad. It is light and perfect for these warm summer days! Great SRC entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat tons of cucumber during the summer so I'm always looking for new recipes. I make a couple of different dressings to go with cucumbers but nothing quite like this. I'll be giving this one a try.

    Love to see helpers in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad is perfect for summer picnics!
    So fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. This looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I love cucumber salads during the summer =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so refreshing - the perfect summer lunch. I'm so glad you posted this recipe because I am going to enjoy ths for my lunch today!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so delicious and refreshing for these summer days. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done with this - especially as you had to translate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super simple fresh cucumber salad for the summer, especially now that cucumbers are in season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny with the translations. I have so many cukes coming from my garden I'm always looking for a new recipe so thanks!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. MMM!! This is one of our summer favorites, but I haven't ever done it with dill. Dill is my mom's favorite herb... I've printed and will surprise her with this one on her next visit. Love your SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE cucumber salads; this one looks great, and I love that the seeds are removed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Google translate gives you just enough information to be dangerous. Their Korean translations are disastrous sometimes. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy I love cucumbers and this recipe looks perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi yaa, First time here from SRC!, it's been fun going through all the blogs!, Love cucumber salad, I make it the Indian way!, this is so different, must try it sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how funny about execution! LOL By hanging or gas chamber? HAHAHA I love a good cucumber salad, and the addition of dill is great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry it took me so long to get here! Happy to find your blog through SRC and look forward to your posts. I grew up on homemade dill cukes so I'm certain this would be a yummy addition to our menu!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...