Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mashed Potato Cakes

I cobbled together a few recipes, a little of this and a little of that, and ended up with something pretty good!!

MASHED POTATO CAKES

3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1 egg
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a Cheddar-Jack mix)
salt and pepper to taste (about a teaspoon of each)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
oil for the griddle

I used a 2-burner griddle to make this go faster. This recipe made about 15 potato cakes.

Mix potatoes, egg, cheese and seasonings (not bread crumbs) in a large bowl. Form into patties and dredge in the bread crumbs. They don't have to be completely coated. Fry on a heated, oiled griddle until brown on both sides. Keep warm in the oven until all the cakes are done.

Note:  these are even better when you use a good sharp Cheddar. They're not the prettiest side dish in the world, but they're very tasty.

2 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've had potato patties like this. My Mom used to make them when I was growing up but I could never seem to perfect her way of doing it. I will try this recipe for me the next time that we have leftover mashed potatoes. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a winner for tomorrow night, I was wondering what to do with the leftover potatoes. Sounds like something they would love
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...