Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Tasty Tuesday: Blueberry Muffins
Continuing on a blueberry theme. I live in New Jersey, after all, and the berries are fabulous this year! I taught Middle Sister how to make these muffins yesterday.
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 beaten eggs
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup melted butter (no substitutes)
* 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
* 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
* sugar for topping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Put muffin papers in 18 regular size muffin pan cups. Set aside.
2. Stir together flour, the 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
3. Combine eggs, milk, butter, and lemon peel; add all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in blueberries.
BLUEBERRY STORAGE TIP: Buy many pints of blueberries when they are in season. Rinse in a colander with cold water, and put in one-cup portions into zipper sandwich bags. Freeze. When you want to use blueberries in a recipe, just empty the frozen berries right into the batter--they'll thaw as it bakes! I buy blueberries once a year and freeze enough to last until the next summer.
Visit Many Little Blessings for more Tasty Tuesday recipes!