Monday, May 16, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Lime Meltaways

When I found out that Amanda is hosting a new monthly fun feature, The Secret Recipe Club, I just had to get in on it.  I love trying new recipes, so this club was tailor-made for me.

The idea here is that you are assigned to visit the blog of another club member.  You can choose any recipe from  that blog, prepare it, and write about it on your own blog.

For me, the hardest part was figuring out which recipe to choose!  When I was sent to visit Sweet as Sugar Cookies, I immediately found five recipes I wanted to try.  I finally had to stop looking and just pick something.  They ALL looked so good--and I bookmarked a bunch to try later.  I've been on a "fresh ingredients" kick lately, so I chose the recipe for Lime Meltaways.  Like blog author Lisa, I'm a fan of any lemon- or lime-flavored cookie or pastry.  I think that these delicious cookies would work with either flavor!





WARNING:  Do not eat these cookies while wearing black!!

Here's the recipe with a couple of small changes that I made.  (Bake temp was not given in the recipe, but the author mentioned that it was a Martha Stewart recipe, so I was able to find the original.  And I adjusted the quantity of lime juice and zest since I only had one lime in the house).



LIME MELTAWAYS (from Martha Stewart via Sweet as Sugar Cookies)

12 Tbsp. salted butter, softened
1 c. powdered sugar, divided (1/3 cup and 2/3 cup)
zest of 1 fresh lime
juice of 1 fresh lime
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Cream butter and 1/3 c. sugar until fluffy. Add zest, juice, and vanilla. Beat till fluffy. Add flour and cornstarch. Roll dough into two 1 1/4" diameter logs. Chill 1 hour.

Slice logs into 1/8" thick rounds. Place on baking sheets and bake about 15 min. at 350 until barely golden. Let cool slightly, 8-10 min. Place remaining 2/3 c. sugar in a resealable plastic bag. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag and toss to coat.


Would I do anything different next time?  I'd probably not shake the cookies in a bag with the sugar to coat them.  Even with only putting in a few cookies at a time, I wound up with a lot of crumbled cookies.  Of course, I ate them anyway--they were still very delicious!  I'll probably just sift powdered sugar over the cookies next time.  And I wished that I had been more careful to shape the logs; mine were kind of flat on one side, so my cookies were a bit misshapen.  Either that, or I'll square them off so I can say they're square on purpose!

This was a lot of fun and I'll definitely play along again next time.  If you're a fan of lemon or lime, you'll love these cookies; they just melt in your mouth and were super easy to make.

Visit the other blogs in the Secret Recipe Club!


26 comments:

  1. I've been loving lime lately, too. One of my favorite flavors. These cookies look yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking and tasty meltaways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is better with a Lime Meltaway!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sounds great.... you can never go wrong with a good sugar cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on a fresh ingredients kick lately too. The coming of spring really kick started my baking! I love the idea of a "meltaway" cookie! The addition of lime sounds so fresh, and bright. I would want to slather these in lime curd as well. I am so glad I joined the secret recipe club too, it's so fun! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sounds great Barb! So glad you played along, looking forward to next month! Your comment about wearing black made me laugh hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed the lime meltaways. They're definitely one of my fave cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lime meltaways are such a great cookie for summer. The lime flavor seems so refreshing. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh lime meltaways. I've always wanted to try them. They look gorgeous. Glad you're a part of the group!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to see you here, Barb!

    I'm a fan of lime so I've copies this recipe to try it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooooo, I can just taste them now. I've always loved the lemon cookies like this, but never thought of the lime - and lime is my very favorite flavor in the world! I'm booking marking these now! And welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! I love citrus flavors, especially lime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of lime; always my favorite over lemon. Great tip...wonder often why on earth I bought a black apron? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lime is one of my favorite flavors, but I haven't put it in a cookie yet. These sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always have trouble forming round logs when I make cookies that way too. These look great! Your recommendation about being careful about wearing black was cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love citrus desserts and these sound delicious. Very refreshing. I'm sure it is hard to just eat 1!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good call on the dress code warning! I've long wanted to try these cookies but I'm terribly afraid they will be very dangerous for me to have around! They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the warning.
    Love lime.
    Love buttery, meltaway cookies.
    These would certainly be dangerous for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL on the warning Barb...you got me nodding my head in a hurry. Love too that you used fresh ingredients. These are some delicious cookies. Great choice for the SRC. These would disappear in a heartbeat in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thrilled to have taken part in SRC with you and discovered new blogs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great choice of recipe and it is a fun club alright.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these! I have made them before and agree that black is not the color to be wearing while eating :) Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice always wanted to try these - i guess i have no excuse now :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lime meltaways remind me of a cookie I had as a little girl. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

    Drink Fridges

    ReplyDelete
  26. These Lime Meltaways are a great idea! I cannot wait to try them. Maybe I'll use key limes as a substitute with a touch of salt. I think that would be tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...