Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Go Meatless!

Next week Lent begins, so it's time to start thinking about meatless meals.

I do try to serve a meatless meal on Fridays anyway, but in Lent it's non-negotiable.

The Faith & Family bloggers are compiling some Lenten menus. This roundup is my contribution. With the exception of ONE recipe that I have not yet tried, all of these are tried and true and a regular part of my family's dinner plan. Yes, my kids eat fish. Actually, they love fish. But not all of these are fish recipes, so if fish is not going to be on your table for whatever reason, you can still find plenty of options here.

Pasta with marinara sauce (add shrimp or scallops if you like)

Cheese ravioli with marinara sauce

Cheese-and-salsa quesadillas

Grilled cheese sandwiches with soup (tomato or clam chowder)

"Vegetarian Flips"--like a quesadilla, but add some refried beans and salsa

Baked fish

Teriyaki salmon (Easiest way EVER to make salmon!)

Spanish Garlic Shrimp

Pizza

Veggie calzones (this is a recipe I intend to try soon. You can fill these with just about anything! I'm planning on peppers, onions, cheese and marinara.)

Saffron risotto with shrimp

Shrimp fried rice

Potato and cheese pierogi


Salmon burgers


Homemade macaroni and cheese

Arroz con habichuelas (great with quesadillas or tomato soup)

Pasta e fagioli (you can make this with vegetable stock instead of chicken broth!)

And there's always the "breakfast for dinner" option. French toast and fresh fruit make a nice change of pace.

Wishing you a blessed Lent!

4 comments:

  1. I am very hungry right now, and these all sound great. I can't wait to check them out. Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all these ideas. This is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic ideas.. and a link to each one. Thank you! Extremely helpful .. Have to check some of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipes!! Just so you know Pasta e fagioli can also be made of a base of a can of crushed tomatoes. We are Italian, and that is the way my Grandmother taught me to make it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...